What was needed
The design needed to be modern, simple, and would need to represent her style and the process she has developed for working with clients.
Her goal was to create a brand that better connects with her clients – early-stage startups – that are looking to really scale their sales.
I also worked on the decks that she will be sharing during her talks, on-boarding clients process, and while working with clients.
Here is a list of people involved in this project.
Better brand connection
Before I got started to work on this rebrand and website redesign, her website lived as a Squarespace website. Whitney wanted her brand to better match her personality and skills.
Even though Squarespace is a good platform, and her blog was being shared there, as well as on Medium, developing something completely from scratch on this platform would've taken a long time, and the changes required would have to be done by a developer.
For this project, since everything was designed from scratch, I invited Whitney to use WordPress as our main platform to have her amazing pieces of content, blog posts, and all the pages for her marketing website.
Once I had an idea of the requirements, and knew that the website was going to be custom built, I moved on the first step, a branding workshop to better understand who Whitney Sales is and how The Sales Method is being seen by her clients.
The Process for this project
Here is a brief description of the steps I took to complete this project. Keep in mind a lot of the discussions and some steps may be confidential to the client, so I am not able to share all the details.
During this discovery session, which took about 1 to 1.5 hours, I worked with Whitney to identify her customers' profiles, brand attributes and goals. I wanted to learn who her customers are, so I can see what they would like. By working to identify key adjectives, I was able to identify words that described her business culture, her clients, her approach and the way her customers felt after working with her. For goals, I divided them into three categories (Efficiency, Awareness and Financial) I wanted to find out what the website and brand needed to have to make her work easier, find the right people, and help her increase the profitability of the business.
After the discovery session, I went on to the drawing board. I used the keywords and adjectives, as well as what I have learned about Whitney's customers, to do some research on what these words represent, and what sort of brands and platforms her customers interact with. From here, I also looked at what was working with her current website and the way certain elements were laid out before. This gave me ability to create mood boards of ideas that became organized design directions in the shape of StyleScapes.
Presenting the designs
Once I had a solid idea of the different directions this project could have taken, I went on to present to Whitney 3 design directions. A mild, medium and bold direction, all which can solve the problems she was having with the previous design, while helping her connect with her audience. From here, we agreed to one design direction which I used to design her logo, decks and website.
Designing on Adobe XD
The main goal of this project was to redesign a website from scratch that really represented her business and moving away from any cookie-cutter template. For this I used Adobe XD to create wireframes of the way the information would be shown on the website. This allowed me to present the content structure of the website to the client, to ensure it worked and flowed the way she wanted. After this presentation was completed, I went on to design the full website for mobile and desktop. I used Adobe XD to create mock-ups that allowed her to interact with the design as it if were a live website. This way I was able to tackle and implement feedback before the development.
Developing the website
For developing the website, I used WordPress to fully develop the designs created in Adobe XD. With the use of ACF and other WordPress tools, I was able to create features that can easily be updated and grown without worrying about too many plugins that can slow the website. One thing I kept in mind was to ensure that at the end of the project, it should be easy for her to update the content, add new content and create blog posts with ease.
Designing the Decks
For her business decks are a main asset. With so many decks needed to be created, I designed a master deck that can could easily adapt to her current decks and new decks. I wanted to create a consistent look throughout all mediums - website, brand, decks, social media, etc. So while designing the deck, I used colors and other assets created for the website to ensure any where her clients see these decks or other marketing material, they know it belongs to The Sales Method.
Handing over the project
The entire project took us 30 days to complete. At the end, I created a shared folder with the logo files with all the file types she would need. The decks were shared accordingly in a way they are editable and easy to add new slides through the creation of deck masters. The website was moved to Siteground, and training on how to used the website took about 30 minutes, as the development of it, made it very straight forward.